Cloud Architect - IT4
Menlo Park, California, United States
Title: Cloud Architect
Reports to: Senior Director, Global Cloud Architecture
Orchard Therapeutics is a fully integrated, leading global biotech dedicated to transforming the lives of patients with rare diseases through innovative gene therapies.
Partnering with world-leading research institutions in gene therapy, Orchard’s portfolio of autologous ex vivo gene therapy programs has demonstrated sustained clinical benefit in over 150 patients across five rare disease areas.
Orchard is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: ORTX) with offices in the UK and the US, including London, San Francisco and Boston.
The Cloud Architect (CA) maintains a stable and robust computing environment for all users across all Orchard Therapeutics sites. This includes maintaining uptime on all systems, improving system features and usability for clients, daily monitoring and implementing new solutions to enhance and advance Orchard user performance and productivity. This position is based in Menlo Park, CA with up to 30% travel possible.
The CA must have ability to support the technical vision that coincides with, and fully supports the overall business process. This position works with the Orchard IT (OIT) team to research and implement solutions to meet core business requirements. While not having direct reports, this position will be expected to be a leader within the IT function in the California region.
This position is also responsible for assisting with management of all cloud-based storage systems, Orchard hosted applications, messaging environment, and data backups. Responsibilities include cloud infrastructure support for XaaS environments (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), escalated ticket resolution, systems and network monitoring and service documentation.
The CA will follow standard operating procedures (SOPs) in resolving issues, participate in project planning, as well as submit documentation for work completed. Candidate will be given access to new technologies and a chance to experience hands on development and growth in emerging hosted cloud technologies.
- The CA will assist in supporting critical enterprise application environments as well as commodity technology services providing general network and systems support across all Orchard sites. Will also be responsible for maintaining relationships with outsourcing vendors for support of some of these environments.
- The CA will be expected to support the administration of Amazon Web Services environments as well as host contained therein including administration of all Window 2016 servers.
- Support integration of Laboratory Instruments with Electronic Laboratory Systems.
- Escalation point for Laboratory Production hardware issues.
- Responsible for assistance with development and execution of Disaster Recovery plans and procedures as well as Business Continuity design.
- Enterprise data backup, archival, and recovery. This includes supporting the administration of entire Orchard enterprise data backup, archival, and recovery environments. This also includes daily administration of all jobs, test restores. Assists with management of backup scheduling and licensing. Works with OIT to set backup windows and test success of application backups.
- Support and administration of Enterprise Single Sign On, O365, Google for Work, SMTP relay, Cloud Printing, Windows Certificate Authority, Radius and provide Tier 3 support for Service Delivery Team.
- Supports management of Enterprise Single Sign On and provides necessary support. Full understanding of SAML, OATH 2.0, Open ID standards and Mobile Application Management (MAM)
- Ability to troubleshoot legacy Windows and client server environments in support of migration activities and serve on onsite hands for remote OIT staff.
- Ability to work independently to completion on parallel work streams associated with Merger and Acquisition activities. This includes server, storage, file transfer, user account administration, etc., and assist migrating to cloud-based solutions.
- Performs software installations, updates, coordination, control, maintenance, troubleshooting, security, usage and log monitoring following system procedures of all components of Orchard’s data infrastructure.
- Prioritize and schedule multiple tasks. Resolve escalated Tier 3 Service Desk problems.
- Assistance with administering hosts within AWS. Specifically, Active Directory and have experience with server OS and security to include OS lockdown, NTFS permissions, and assist in managing Orchard user and computer policies.
- Support management and administration of Client\Server systems, Windows File Servers, patching, backup, and performance monitoring systems hosted in AWS.
- Follow and adhere to OIT policy and procedure (including change management, incident handling and inventory). Perform post-resolution follow-ups to outage\upgrade events.
- Must have ability to leverage internet, knowledge base and support resources, to proactively manage systems.
- Establish, monitor, and control procedures associated with placing new computer application systems into a production mode.
- Manage day-to-day activities associated with job processing, including system startup and shutdown, setting criteria for prioritization of daily work, and ensure accurate and timely completion of production work.
- Ensure license compliance and maintain documentation. Assist OIT leadership with Support\Maintenance agreements for all server hardware and software.
- Ability to work night and weekends when necessary.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; both written and verbal as well as facilitation skills.
- Create and update process and system documentation.
- Provide cross functional support, ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
- Must possess a desire and ability to learn quickly and continually improve processes.
- A strong sense of focus and excellent attention to detail while working in a fast paced, growing environment.
- A great attitude, willingness and ability to work within and between groups and all organization levels smoothly to support productivity improvement initiatives.
- Must be comfortable in a fast paced, evolving, deadline driven environment where the focus is results.
- Candidates with a background in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries will be strongly favored, ideally in a GMP and biological laboratory setting.
- Minimum 8 years of IT experience; 2 years experience in cloud technology support operations (specifically AWS, Office 365 and/or Google Apps for Business).
- All candidates must have excellent diagnostic abilities and demonstrated multi-tasking and independent problem-solving skills.
- The candidate should also have a strong understanding of TCP/IP networking, and should have a complete understanding of common Internet technologies such as SSO, MFA, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, SSL and SSH.
- Minimum 5 years installing and maintaining Windows Servers (2012, 2016), Exchange messaging and Active Directory services, GPO’s, and LDAP.
- Experience in backups and server architecture.
- Demonstrated working knowledge in Amazon Web Services specifically, EC2, S3, VPC, Glacier, Elastic IP, and Cloud Trail and regional continuity setup is a plus.
- Working knowledge of cloud storage concepts such as Google Drive, S3, Glacier as well as traditional SAN technology.
- Database and scripting experience a plus.
- 802.1x wireless and Windows Certificate Authority experience a plus
- Call Center telephony management with experience with Tier 1 Telco providers a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field preferred.
- Depending on experience, candidate may be expected to work independently on larger projects as directed by OIT leadership.
The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive base salary and the opportunity to participate in incentive compensation programs, including a stock option plans. Orchard Therapeutics, Ltd. offers a comprehensive benefits program, including: medical, dental and vision care; paid vacation and holiday time; access to a voluntary 401(k). Orchard Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer.
Notice to All Applicants: Orchard Therapeutics participates in E-Verify
Notice to RECRUITERS: All employment offers and CV’s are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.