Senior Associate, Gene and Cell Therapy Research - Pre5
London, England, United Kingdom
Senior Associate in Gene and Cell Therapy Research
Location: London, UK
Reporting to: Senior Scientist in Gene and Cell Therapy Research
The Senior Associate in Gene and Cell Therapy Research will perform experimental duties related to the research and development activities of a newly established laboratory for Orchard Therapeutics. This is an extremely exciting post that sits at the interface of academic research and industry in a dynamic new company. The purpose of the new laboratory will be to develop novel gene and cell therapy technologies that can then be taken for forward for further implementation in clinical trials and into cell manufacturing processes. The initial areas for development include improving the transduction of haematopoietic stem cells, the isolation and transduction of specific stem cell populations and other improvements in stem cell transduction.
- Undertake experimental duties at the newly established research laboratory at Orchard Therapeutics. The individual will undertake research activities in a number of areas of interest with a growing group of scientific staff. The research activities will include but not be confined to:
- Isolation, culture, characterisation and purification of haematopoietic stem cell populations for gene transfer
- Transduction of haematopoietic stem cell populations and assessment of gene transfer and haematopoietic stem cell characteristics and function
- To perform functional studies using techniques including qPCR, ELISA, CFU, flow cytometry, cytotoxicity assays, immunostaining and western blotting
- Generation of lentiviral vectors with novel designs and transgenes
- Other activities may include the design and testing of novel vectors, including the use of the alternative promoters and engineering of transgenes.
- To maintain clear and accurate records of experiments and data
- Help in preparation, review and completion of study reports and protocol SOPs
- To liaise with collaborating groups and to regularly present work to internal departments, collaborators and at external meetings as required.
- Other activities as may be assigned
- To contribute to the overall, normal activities of the research team and department as required, including laboratory duties and attendance of department meetings
- To train and lead technical support staff, and manage assigned projects
- To carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager
The ideal candidate for this position must have experience in cellular and molecular biology preferably with experience in gene therapy and stem cell manipulations. Experience of clinical/ GMP grade work, and of industry/ biotechnology sector would be ideal, but is not essential.
Candidate must possess:
- A PhD in biological sciences
- Extensive years of experience in a laboratory based discipline with experience of laboratory work in cell biology and molecular biology
- Experience of working with lentiviral or retroviral vectors and extensive primary cell culture work
- Good working experience in techniques such as flow cytometry and PCR
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to analyse and write up data, and to keep accurate records
- IT skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, GraphPad, and FlowJo
- Personnel and project management skills
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary research/industrial environment
- Ability to travel to other Orchard laboratories as and when required