Director, Market Access (DACH - Region) - Frankfurt
Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany
Director, Market Access (DACH – Region)
Location: Office-based (in North Rhine-Westphalia or Hesse, Germany)
Partially home-based work is possible
Reporting to: VP and GM DACH Region
Orchard Therapeutics is a leading global, fully integrated, commercial-stage company dedicated to transforming the lives of patients with rare diseases through innovative gene therapies.
Orchard’s portfolio of ex vivo autologous gene therapy programs has demonstrated sustained clinical benefit in over 150 patients across five disease areas. These programs include Strimvelis®, the first ex vivo autologous gene therapy approved by the EMA in 2016, three advanced registrational studies for metachromatic leukodystrophy (MLD), ADA-SCID and Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome (WAS), clinical programs for X-linked chronic granulomatous disease (X-CGD), transfusion-dependent beta-thalassemia (TDT) and mucopolysaccharidosis type I (MPS-I), as well as an extensive preclinical pipeline.
Orchard is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: ORTX) with offices in the UK and the US, including London, San Francisco and Boston.
The Director, Market Access DACH region is responsible for the development and implementation of market access and pricing strategies in the DACH Region (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) to ensure seamless and sustainable funding and reimbursement of Orchard Therapeutics current and future product portfolio across their life-cycle. The incumbent will ensure at any time alignment with the respective global market access, brand and corporate strategies. This includes providing insights to global market access and commercial leadership to identify the optimal pricing, reimbursement and commercial model for current and future product portfolio in the context of the wider health economy and reimbursement system at a national and sub-national/payer level in the DACH Region.
The role is also responsible for the implementation of corporate pricing policy, health technology assessments and monitoring processes for current and future products and relevant marketplace benchmarks.
The Director, Market Access is member of the DACH leadership team and cross-functionally tied with Global and EMEA Market Access and various other internal and external contact partners.
Key Elements and Responsibilities
- Provides and facilitates cross-functional strategic guidance and support on market access, pricing and public affairs to the D-A-CH Region. This includes leading the direction setting, alignment, development and implementation of global market access strategies for Orchard Therapeutics in the D-A-CH Region
- Manages funding and reimbursement aspects from a holistic perspective reflecting the changing political and legislative environment with the goal to develop impactful (if needed tailor-made) market access solutions
- Develops tools and pro-active presents market access relevant information to Health Insurances (Krankenkassen), Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (Kassenärztlichen Vereinigungen, KVs), Hospital Managements (Klinikverwaltungen) and other relevant decision makers
- Is accountable for preparing and submitting national HTA dossiers. Leads negotiations and assists the D-A-CH General Manager and/or other members of the leadership team in price and reimbursement negotiations with health authorities and payers (e.g. acc. §130b SGB V with GKV-SV)
- Builds strategic partnerships to establish a platform for market access relevant interaction with targeted stakeholders such as but not limited to the G-BA, GKV-SV, IQWiG, BAG, HvB, Health Insurances, Association of Statutory Health Insurance physicians (KVs), Industry Associations and Key Opinion Leaders
- Continuously monitors the pharma- and health political environment and legislative framework for supply and reimbursement of innovative medicines in the D-A-CH Region (with focus on the hospital area) – this includes anticipation of changing reimbursement requirements across the region on a macro and micro level
- Is responsible for ensuring that evidence requirements of payers and other market access stakeholders is communicated internally early to Global/EMEA Market Access and ideally incorporated into clinical development plans and other evidence generation plans. This includes preparing G-BA scientific advice briefing packages in order to obtain feedback
- Ensures close working relationship with all members of the D-A-CH team to effectively identify and build collaborative solutions for unmet payer needs, share knowledge with Global and EMEA Market Access and affiliates and assist affiliates to effectively share best practices
- Prepares pricing business cases for internal approval in line with the corporate pricing governance structure
- Represents Orchard Therapeutics in National/Regional pricing and reimbursement and rare diseases/orphan drugs/gene therapies industry forums and working groups
- Ensures the development of core behaviors with a constant concern to meet legal, regulatory, ethical and social responsibility standards required by local laws and company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as appropriate
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive, relevant market access and/or health economics experience in a pharmaceutical/biotechnology company or consulting firm
- Significant operational, hands-on market access experience (must include launch expertise) for orphan, rare disease and/or specialized drug(s) in Germany and at least working knowledge of market access and/or health systems in any D-A-CH market
- Familiarity with the German health system (structure, funding, hospital financing, market access hurdles) complemented by profound knowledge of the health political and legislative framework for the economic utilization of medicines especially from the perspective of the associations of statutory health insurance physicians (KVs), physicians´ associations (Ärzteverbände) und Health Insurances
- Excellent know how and previous first-hand experience of the G-BA benefit evaluation and GKV-SV price negotiation process (acc. AMNOG) and the respective perspective and requirements of national HTA bodies (regarding clinical evaluation, data presentation, health economic evaluation and value communication). In so far this position requires comprehensive knowledge and experience in
- Previous public affairs experience in the rare diseases landscape and previous experience and knowledge of key stakeholders in these area are a plus
- Advanced degree (Master’s degree, PhD or equivalent) in a scientific discipline, Life Sciences and/ or in Economics/ Business Administration. Further qualifications (e.g. in Health-Economy or Public Health) are an advantage
- Health Technology Assessment process
- Regional market access framework and hurdles
- Epidemiology and biostatistics
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Good interpersonal and diplomatic skills, including communication, presentation, persuasion, and ability to influence key stakeholders without direct authority
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in German and English) including the ability to create and deliver clear and impactful presentations and the ability to communicate complex technical information clearly
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, in a fast-paced, matrixed, team environment consisting of internal and external team members
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills including the ability to support and prioritize multiple projects
- Comfort and experience in working in a small but fast growing entrepreneurial environment
- International mind-set, an appreciation for cultural differences and an understanding of market dynamics and business practices in other countries across Europe
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel up to 60% of time
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
Orchard Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Notice to All Applicants: Orchard Therapeutics participates in E-Verify
All employment offers and CV’s are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.