(Senior) Director, Global Tax - Boston
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
(Senior) Director, Global Tax
Location: Boston, MA
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer & Chief Business Officer
Orchard Therapeutics is a leading global, fully integrated, commercial-stage biotech dedicated to transforming the lives of patients with rare diseases through innovative gene therapies.
Partnering with world-leading research institutions in gene therapy, Orchard’s portfolio of autologous ex vivo gene therapy programs has demonstrated sustained clinical benefit in over 150 patients across five rare disease areas. These programs include Strimvelis®, the first autologous ex vivo gene therapy approved by the EMA in 2016, 3 programs in advanced registrational studies in MLD (metachromatic leukodystrophy), WAS (Wiskott Aldrich syndrome) and ADA-SCID (adenosine deaminase severe combined immunodeficiency), 2 other clinical programs in X-CGD (X-linked chronic granulomatous disease) and beta-thalassemia, as well as an extensive preclinical pipeline.
Orchard is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: ORTX) with offices in the UK and the US, including London, Boston and the Bay Area, California.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, Orchard Therapeutics is seeking an individual who wishes to be responsible for managing both tax compliance and tax strategic planning related to all domestic (federal and state) and international aspects for a newly commercial, expanding, public biotechnology company. Position is responsible for ensuring proper tax provision preparation and all financial reporting requirements related to income and other taxes. Successful candidate will work closely with the global finance team and external tax advisors to ensure optimization of consolidated tax strategy. In addition, the candidate will have significant interaction with Orchard’s commercial team regarding distribution of product to customers and patients as well as the manufacturing and supply chain function. Inter-company agreements will need to be well-documented, including transfer pricing relationships.
Key Elements and Responsibilities
- Responsible for completion and audits of federal, international and state income tax returns including all related analysis and support.
- Oversight of the tax returns for the Company’s international subsidiaries.
- Develop, improve and maintain all tax-related compliance and business processes involving VAT, sales and use tax, personal property tax, franchise tax, foreign withholding and other taxes.
- Support human resources and legal functions on researching compensation or payroll tax implications of certain employment or contractor relationships.
- Responsible for intercompany agreements, transfer pricing, intercompany loans and management fee arrangements.
- Working closely with the accounting and financial reporting team, manage the quarterly tax close and reporting process, including the tax provision, effective tax rate analysis and deferred taxes.
- Review, analyze and maintain support for valuation allowances and stock compensation impacts.
- Prepare tax footnotes and disclosures for SEC filings; coordinate with the accounting team, external advisors and external auditors.
- Assist in preparation of tax provision and disclosures for statutory reporting, including under IFRS or UK GAAP.
- Oversee tax strategy projects, including potential establishment of sales corporation, certification of the R&D tax credit and various NOL support initiatives, including monitoring Section 382 limitations.
- Ensuring that appropriate internal controls are in place over accounting for income taxes. Implement tax policies and procedures that adhere to Sarbanes-Oxley compliance effort including assisting with process design changes and documentation of relevant portions of control cycles.
- Assisting the CFO with tax planning issues as required, including the integration of new business or corporate development transactions. Conduct tax research and provide timely assistance/leadership of various additional projects as they arise.
- Strong technical/analytical skills to identify and solve problems.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of integrity, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Self-motivated, assertive, and confident with the ability to act with urgency and passion.
- Strong organizational skills in order to maintain a high level of productivity, innovation, and priority-setting in order to complete assignments on-time and on-budget.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for effectively interfacing with all levels of management and departments within the company.
- Ability to make thoughtful, integrated and timely decisions and take corresponding actions.
- Willingness to work collaboratively by incorporating diverse perspectives and appropriately managing relationships in order to strengthen decision-making.
- Proactively seeks out and recommends process improvements.
- Entrepreneurial, enjoys working in a fast-paced, small-company environment.
- Ability to work under pressure, meeting time sensitive deadlines, while maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
- International tax experience required.
- Experience with the following:
- Biotechnology/pharma/life science companies preferred.
- Global tax structure, including complex corporate planning preferred.
- Setting up ERP systems to handle intercompany and international tax reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Accounting. Master’s Degree in Business Taxation preferred.
- JD and/or CPA preferred.
- Ten years of related experience with at least 5 years in a public accounting firm.
Orchard Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Notice to All Applicants: Orchard Therapeutics participates in E-Verify
All employment offers and CV’s are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.