Senior Associate, Gene and Cell Therapy Research - London
London, England, United Kingdom
Location: London, UK
Reporting to: Senior Scientist in Gene and Cell Therapy Research
The Senior Associate in Gene and Cell Therapy Research will perform experimental duties related to the research and development activities of a newly established laboratory for orchard therapeutics. This is an extremely exciting post that sits at the interface of academic research and industry in a dynamic new company. The purpose of the new laboratory will be to develop novel gene and cell therapy technologies that can then be taken for forward for further implementation in clinical trials and into cell manufacturing processes. The initial areas for development include improving the transduction of haematopoietic stem cells, the isolation and transduction of specific stem cell populations and other improvements in stem cell transduction. Other activities may include the design and testing of novel vectors, including the use of the alternative promoters and engineering of transgenes.
- Undertake experimental duties at the newly established research laboratory at Orchard Therapeutics. The individual will undertake research activities in a number of areas of interest with a growing group of scientific staff. The research activities will include but not be confined to:
- Generation of lentiviral vectors with novel designs and transgenes
- Isolation, characterisation and purification of haematopoietic stem cell populations for gene transfer
- Transduction of haematopoietic stem cell populations and assessment of gene transfer and haematopoietic stem cell characteristics and function
- To perform functional studies by using the techniques including immunostaining, western blotting, ELISA, flow cytometry, cytotoxicity assays and PCR
- To maintain clear and accurate records of experiments and data
- Help in preparation, review and completion of study reports and protocol
- Help in standard laboratory
- To liaise with collaborating groups and to present work to these groups and meetings as required.
- Other activities as may be assigned
- To contribute to the overall, normal activities of the research team and department as required, including laboratory duties and attendance of department meetings
- To ensure that equipment used is safe and maintained in good working order.
To carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager
The ideal candidate for this position must have experience in molecular and cellular biology with preferably experience in gene therapy and haematopoietic stem cell manipulations. Experience in industry or the biotechnology sector would be ideal but is not essential.
Candidate must possess:
- A minimum BSc or equivalent, in biological sciences, bioprocessing or medical technology; PhD is a big advantage.
- Experience in a laboratory based discipline with experience of laboratory work in cell biology and molecular biology, with experience in cell culture, virus production and PCR
- Experience with lentiviral or retroviral vectors and primary cell work
- Experience with flow cytometry, western blotting,
- Proven personnel and project management skills
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to analyse and write up data and to keep accurate records
- Basic IT skills – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Photoshop
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary research/industrial environment
- Ability to travel to other Orchard laboratories as and when required