Associate, Gene and Cell Therapy Research - Pre2
London, England, United Kingdom
The Associate in Gene and Cell Therapy Research will perform experimental duties related to the research and development activities of a newly established laboratory for Orchard Therapeutics. This is an extremely exciting post that sits at the interface of academic research and industry in a dynamic new company. The purpose of the new laboratory will be to develop novel gene and cell therapy technologies that can then be taken for forward for further implementation in clinical trials and into cell manufacturing processes. The initial areas for development include improving the transduction of haematopoietic stem cells, the isolation and transduction of specific stem cell populations and other improvements in stem cell transduction.
- Undertake experimental duties at the newly established research laboratory at Orchard Therapeutics. The individual will undertake research activities in a number of areas of interest with a growing group of scientific staff. The research activities will include but not be confined to:
- Culture and manipulation of laboratory cell lines for analytical assays and vector preparation
- Isolation, culture and characterisation of haematopoietic stem cell populations for gene transfer
- To perform functional studies using techniques including qPCR, ELISA, CFU, flow cytometry, cytotoxicity assays, immunostaining and western blotting
- Other activities may include the design, generation and testing of novel cloning constructs and vectors
- To maintain clear and accurate records of experiments and data
- Help in preparation, review and completion of study reports and protocol SOPs
- To liaise with collaborating groups and to regularly present work at internal meetings
- Support with administrative duties, such as maintaining lab reagent stocks, ordering and receipting.
- Other activities as may be assigned
- To contribute to the overall, normal activities of the research team and department as required, including laboratory duties and attendance of department meetings
- To carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager
The ideal candidate for this position must have experience in cellular and molecular biology preferably.
Candidate must possess:
- A good undergraduate or masters level degree, a PhD in biological sciences is desirable but not essential
- Experience of laboratory work in cell biology and molecular biology is essential
- Experience in routine cell line culture maintenance and primary cell culture isolation and culture methods
- Experience of working with in vivo experimental models would be desirable skill, but is not essential
- Good working experience in techniques such as flow cytometry and PCR
- Good organizational skills
- Keen attention to detail, with a good analytical ability to interpret data sets
- Ability to analyse and write up data, and to keep accurate records
- IT skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and FlowJo
- Ability to travel to other Orchard laboratories as and when required
All employment offers and CV’s are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.